I put my DIY hands to the test a few weeks ago when the two uneven windows in my bedroom started to REALLY bother me (and they already REALLY bothered me). I had ordered a few yards of fabric to recover inset panels in my headboard. I found I had an extra yard left over and rather quickly scribbled out a plan to make custom cornices to “even up” the side by side bedroom windows. Cornices deliver a sophisticated look that gives height, depth, and elegance to a room. In this case, I wanted to add a texture and height to give the illusion of even windows and enhance the already high ceilings. And I wanted to do it on the cheap.
These are the windows before the new cornices. The linen shades were left over from another designers project and were given to me last year for free. They just so happened to fit (although just a wee tad too skinny)!
In wanting to unify the space and in keeping with my slate silver, cream, and pale gold color scheme, I stuck with the same Robert Allen fabric that was used on the headboard. My cost for the yard? $50.
My honey picked up some 1″ x 12″ wood shelving material, L- brackets, and some staples for my handy staple gun. With tool box in tow, he took them out to our mini patio and cut them down to my specific plans. The cost at Home Depot was less then $30!
I headed to the craft store and picked up 1/4″ batting to give the cornice a slightly upholstered look. I did not require more then a 45″ x 60″ peice. The store had a sale going on and to my surprise, I only paid $2.05! Score!
So I got started. I ironed the fabric and laid it out on my granite countertop backside up. On top of the fabric piece I laid a pace of batting trimmed to size of the fabric. Without much fabric leftover, I had to improvise and fold up as much as I could onto the back of the cornice on top of the battling and staple away.
It’s best to have a finished interior of the cornice in case you can look up under it or see it from outside when blinds are wide open. But in my case, the roman shades remain drawn at most 1/3 of the window height so one would never see the back of the cornice. After stapling so many times, I realized that an electric staple gun is going on my Christmas wish list.
Once I inspected the first front panel, I went on to finish the sides and the other window’s cornice. As you can see below, I had to make three separate pieces for the cornice instead of wrapping the fabric around the corner and onto the side rails. The reason? The direction of the pattern was horizontal and there was not enough to cleanly wrap on both sides. So, I made do with the options I had and powered through.
Once the fronts and side were attached, it was time for hanging. To cause less disruption to the walls, my honey simply attached additional L-brackets to the inside tops of each side rail and fastened those to the top side of the window frame. This way, if there is a change of heart with the window treatments, they can be unattached from the wall without any unsightly holes or damage.
Once they both were hung, away went the tools and extras and in came a more complete and layered bedroom all for under $100! Now that I can sleep well to. Sweet dreams!